Archivo General de Indias (Archive of the West Indies)
This two-story building on a square groundplan with a monumental inner courtyard, follows the sober stile of the Escorial in Madrid. Originallly it was built to house the Stock Exchange, where sellers and clients closed their deals after Seville obtained the monopoly of commerce with the New World.
After 1717 when overseas trade changed to Cadiz, Charles III decided to install the Achivo General de Indias there. Today this archive contains all the historical documents up to the 19th century on the exploration of the New Word and is a referring point for international investigators.